Sunday, 4 April 2010

Evolution of a Knitter

You may remember that some time back I decided that I wanted to learn to knit and posted this list of things I'd love to be able to create.

Well learn to knit I did! Mostly with the help of my trusty friend youtube but also with the invaluable help of my Mum (who actually recently corrected my casting on method meaning I now never cast on too tight hurrah!).

My first real project was a scarf, but after that with the small amount of confidence I'd gained I decided to try some handwarmers. They were very very simple but I was hugely proud of them when I'd completed them and once again I had the satisfaction of actually finishing something and being able to wear them.




Spurred on with the success of my first handwarmers I decided to try again. This time I got a little bit braver and decided to try something that I loved but also scared me... cables! Once again, with the help of good old youtube I learnt to cable and made these.


Seriously, I love these so much. Again, these were relatively simple as they are essenitally just rectangles that are seamed up the side with a gap for the thumb. I always have cold hands and these have been worn a lot!

Sadly I forgot to take a photo when they were all shiny and new and this photo of was taken when they were starting to look a little bit worse for wear.

So, I decided to try something new for my latest pair of handwarmers. Knitting in the round! I've tried DPN's (double pointed needles) and hated them. I felt like I was trying to knit with a million legged spider and the final straw came when I dropped my working needle and all my stitches fell off. I gave up!

However, you can also knit in the round using circular needles (basically two normal needles with a plastic cable connecting them) and I decided to have a go using the magic loop method. So I looked it up on youtube (you can see a bit of a pattern emerging here can't you?) and had a go and finally I made something from my original knitting list... Fetchings!

I finished these today and I love them. It's the most popular pattern on Ravelry and best of all it's free!

And these were not only knit in the round (so no seaming hurrah!) but they also have little thumbs. I'm really rather proud of myself!
I'm still working away on a cardigan that is coming along nicely but I needed a quick fix project that I could actually finish for some much needed instant gratification and also to use up some of my existing stash that is all early impulse buys with no particular project in mind. Mark would be proud!!!

5 comments:

Rachel said...

wow they look great, its funny how you progress so quickly with knitting, i made the top mitts in pink, then i made a longer pair, and my sister is working on the Fetchings now lol. Cant wait to see what you make next. x

Jenny said...

They look lovely! Well done you. Certainly going to have toasty hands! x x

Anna said...

I haven't done any knitting in years but feel quite inspired to take it up again seeing those Fetchings. They're lovely :)

Micayla said...

Yay you missus! You must have the patience of a saint or I just dont get it!!! I have tried but failed as with crocheting. I think I will just still to scrapbooking and sewing and jobs a good un!!
I am sorry I have not been back in tocuh yet, busy as always with a week till the wedding and other stuff going on. It is on my weekend to do list.....promise!
xx

Anna said...

There's an award for you on my blog Emma (if you fancy doing it) :)