Sunday, 18 October 2009

If you go down to the woods today...

...you're sure to find lots of mushrooms and toadstools!

We went to Bowland Wild Boar Park today, and even though the weather was rubbish we still had a nice time. We did the nature walk this time which we haven't done before, which leads you through some lovely woods that are full of different types of toadstools and mushrooms. I managed to snap photos of quite a few different ones.



Love these puffballs below, they look just like little round balls on the floor!

However, I think the only disappointment of the day was the Fly Agaric, aka the ultimate stereotypical red and white toadstool. I love cartoon type images of these but have never actually seen one in real life. When the handout told us they had these in the woods I was very excited, but when we finally found them they were all well past their best and rotten. This sorry looking specimin below was the best of the bad bunch. Oh well, maybe next time!

We also bought some Wild Boar steaks which we had for tea, they were very nice if a little fatty but a lovely flavour. If you're nearby in Lancashire I'd definately recommend a trip there, it's a great day out.

6 comments:

Polly said...

Hey - cool mushrooms! I've only seen those red and white ones once and got insanely excited to I can totally understand your disappointment. Fingers crossed for next time.

Claireliz said...

Cool shrooms hun, those pics will match this months GoGo kit perfectly.
x

Craftybird said...

Hey these are fab photos! They really show 'em off a treat. Think I need to put that place on my list of places to visit!
x

Jenny said...

Fab pics, not been to the wild boar park will put that on our to do list... x x x

yvonne said...

These photos are really great and would look a home in any wildlife magazine.

Micayla said...

Hi sweetie,
Cool shrooms.....you are a talented Miss.
thanks for the comment, I was thinking about you the other day and thought I would say hello to make sure you was okay but you beat me too it.
The info on the lens was fab. I currently own a Nikon D50 but am hoping to upgrade next year....money permitting of course. I have a Sigma 70-300mm lens at the moment but find it too bulky to be lugging around with all of Emily's stuff when we go out so it has been used about 5 times in 7 months. I am after a 18-200mm so I have the ability to quickly switch from wide angle then to a tight portrait without having to swap lenses. I would love to be able to afford the Nikon one but looks like the Sigma is more in my price range....shame I cannot afford the OS lens either but hey ho! I am selling my 70-300 to help fund the purchase, I never use it so it is just sat there.
Hope to see you blogging very soon, I have missed my Emma dose.
Thanks again for the input, the lens you recommended looked ideal and in my price range but shame it wont fit!!
Speak soon xxx