Saturday, 17 October 2009

Camera Envy

It seems a long time now since I got my Canon EOS 450d DSLR. It's over a year ago now and I went through a whole range of emotions. From excitement at getting one, to being genuinely scared of it (I didn't have a clue how to use it and actually didn't turn it on for 3 days!) and then finally I was so happy to finally have a decent camera I could learn to use properly.

These days I'm very much in my comfort zone with my camera. It feels natural to use it, and I know where everything is on it. I genuinely do love my camera. However, sometimes I find myself wishing it did a little more. Don't get me wrong, it's a great camera but I find myself more and more often wishing it did that little bit extra.

Another thing I find is that I talk about photography a lot, but it's funny how many people do actually really like their photography. It was by chance that I mentioned to someone at work that I'm doing photography at college and it was also by chance that he told me his friend who had just started at our branch also liked his photography. We got talking, and I realised just how much he liked his photography. Everyone rolls their eyes these days when he comes in the office as they know the topic of conversation will be photography!

He brought his camera in to work today. And I am in awe. He has a Nikon D2X (yes I know boo to the Nikon but seriously it's amazing). It is seriously just in another league, it makes my look like a toy. It's so big!

I had great fun today with it, although I did get that momentary fear as I realised I didn't have a clue how to use it. Everything was in the wrong place! But I soon figured it out and was snapping away with it. It's amazing, there's no other way to describe it.

And to give you some kind of a comparison of this camera to mine look at the photo below. The Nikon D2X is the camera at the back of these 2. The camera at the front (the tiny little one!) is a Nikon D70 which is a similar size to mine. See, I told you it made mine look like a toy!

And so have I been converted to Nikon? I think not. It's a very nice camera but I still want a Canon. However it has made me realise just how ready I am to upgrade mine to a medium format DSLR. The next step up into the professional range have so much more to offer, and the Canon 5d Mk II is definately on my most wanted list right now. For now I'll have to be patient (and convince Alan to take me out with him so I can use his!) but today really has made me realise that I do want to make the leap of faith and upgrade my camera. Yes I'll have to go through that learning curve all over again and will probably be scared of it to start and wish I still have my 450d but it'll all be worth it. One day, one day soon!
But for now, I've got serious camera envy!

2 comments:

Biskit said...

Wow. I have the same camera as you. It does look like a dinky toy doesn't it. Still love mine though.

Ruthie said...

I too am having camera envy, but to make you feel better I only want to upgrade to the Cannon you have.

I took the leap into photography with a Pentax K100d a couple of years ago but am wondering whether to move up a bit. The Pentax is great and in better hands than mine produces amazing images. I would probably upgrade and then realise it's me and not the camera!

Ruthie x