Sunday, 9 August 2009

Learn Something New - Preperation

I can't believe it's already well into August, seriously. I know it's such a cliche but honestly, where has this year gone? Over the last few days I've been planning ahead to how I'm going to complete a couple of projects this year. Learn Something New in September, Journal your Christmas and also how I'm going to display the photos for are upcoming trip to Longleat for a VIP Safari.

And the answer? Simple and planning ahead is the way forward! So first projects first, I'm just about ready for Learn Something New now. I made a little album from scratch that takes 6x6 AC Page Protectors and then covered it in woodgrain sticky back plastic. I saw this in a previous issue of SI where Shimelle had used it for covers on a mini book and loved how it looked. I love woodgrain at the moment. I then added a pretty Hambly rub on and voila - album finished!


Then for the internal pages, I've gone for Kraft cardstock as you can never go wrong with kraft. I thought about making my own page templates in photoshop but then I got looking at the ones you can download and for the price, it really wasn't worth my time in making my own! I've gone for these by Ali Edwards which have the days of the week on them and are only $3.99 from Designer Digitals. I've then added a date to each of them using a free typewriter font I downloaded a while back. Cheap, cheerful and very very simple!

And so how am I actually going to do the project? Well, having done it last year I know what to expect so I do have a slight heads up. I'm going to use a small 4x2.5" photo on each page, a little bit of PP and some journalling and that's it. No embellishments... eeek! Simple I know, but it needs to simple and super fast to do otherwise I won't have time to keep up.

I can also feel pretty smug as this whole project has cost zero. The woodgrain sticky back plastic was off cuts of a bigger project I've done (pictures soon!), and I already had all the cardstock and rub ons. Plus, I've been "shopping in my own stash" for the PP and have picked out a load of beautiful Hambly overlays and PP that I've been stroking and not using for far too long. A little bit of a beautiful pp or overlay goes a long way and that's the theory I'm working with on this. Oh, and some dotted swiss cardstock too.... because every project needs some dotted swiss goodness!

11 comments:

Jenny said...

Gorgeous album chuck x x

missusem said...

cute album.. looking forward to see what you do with it :)

Micayla said...

OOOH Miss Organised! I love the album, it is just super cute! I am planning on doing a Christmas journal for Emily this year and hope to get ahead on it too. Love the idea of Kraft and that AE template....I may have to try that one.
Loving the kingfisher photograph too, I got me a Sigma APO DG 70-300mm not too long ago and I am yet to really use it yet. I am hoping that my course will give me a kick up the bum!

elliemook said...

This looks fab, can't wait to see some of your finished pages

katharine said...

ooooooh am loving the woodgrain vinyl, can you tell me where you got it from please i NEED some lol katharine

Claireliz said...

Oooh I'm doing LSNED too, I'm just getting my album sorted now, I'm keeping it simple too.
xx

Marie said...

This is lovely. The woodgrain looks great and the pre-printed pages are a fab idea. Love it!

humel said...

Hi there, just dropped by from Shimelle's :-) Your album looks fab, I love Ali's digi frame thingies! See you in class ;-)

dalewis955 said...

Love your ideas for your album!! Can't wait to see what else you do with it!

AllisonK said...

fabulous album!!! This is such a great class

voodoo vixen said...

LOL, well, I signed up for LSNED and I paid for it and even got the prompts... but the timing was all wrong as I was going on leave as soon as it started... and so I haven't even started!! Eeeek... maybe I can do it on my own through October? LOL
Love your woodgrained covers, they look great!