Friday, 10 July 2009

The best things in life are free

Mark gets a lot of his materials for work delivered on huge wooden pallets, about twice the size of the normal ones you see. And the company doesn't want them back. Infact he has to practically force the drivers to take back ones from previous deliveries when the drop some new stuff off.

So we decided to repurpose one of them and turn it into a raised vegetable bed. This is when I'm really glad Mark is a joiner, it took him no time to knock this up and it's just perfect. Ok so it won't last more than a few years as the wood isn't treated but who cares? The cost to us was absoloutely nothing!

This photo was taken a few weeks ago when we first did it. It's full of radishes and salad leaves etc etc that are well on their way now. I'll take photos soon of what it looks like now, it's amazing how quickly things grow.

I've also been practising my patchwork. Before I spent a lot of money on expensive fabric I decided to have a go with some scraps I already had in my stash and it's turned out really well. I need to buy some wadding this weekend to finish it off and sew the layers together but it's turned out really well so far and I can't wait to do a proper one. Now just to decide on the fabric I want to use. There's so many pretty designs... decisions decisions!

1 comment:

Craftybird said...

Hey you gotta show a picture of your patchwork when you're done! How about treating the outside of your lovely wood trough? Then t'will last longer x