Thursday, 1 January 2009

Project 365 - New Beginnings and a BIG promise

I'm making a promise. A simple promise but one that is infact really quite a big commitment. I promise to take atleast 1 photo a day for a whole year. Yes that's a total of 365 photographs.

This project, in one form or another has been going on for a number of years. Different people have put different spins on it but I think the first one started life as a self portrait exercise. Mine won't be quite so structured. There's no rules to mine or limitations on what I can or can't photograph, just quite simply 365 days with 365 photographs.

Why I am doing this? Well I want to improve my photography this year, I'm already studying for my City & Guilds Level 2 and will be enrolling for City & Guilds Level 3 in September but I also need to practise and that means getting my camera out every day. Even if it's just for 10 minutes on some days atleast I'll be using it. And what better incentive than a little (or should I rephrase that as HUGE?) project.

I've got a physical project in mind for all these photos too. Kinda like a hybrid cross between a scrapbook album and a traditonal photograph album. It's a work in progress at the moment but it's very nearly finished and will be ready to be shown in all it's glory over the weekend hopefully when I'll get chance to photograph it in daylight.

In the meantime here's Day 1...


This is the £1 Christmas Tree I rescued from work. It's potted and about 4ft high. Originally they had them on sale for £25 but they just didn't sell so they reduced them to £9. However, still they didn't sell and they had about 100 of them left so they got reduced to just £1. This was on of the final ones left and it had a cracked pot and was looking rather sorry for itself. However I bought it anyway and took it home, repotted it and when the netting came off it's actually a really lovely tree, a perfect shape.

Such a bargain buy and best of all I saved a tree, yay!

So are you taking part in a 365 challenge? Or are you doing something similar like a photo a week/month? I'd love to see your projects and would love to know what you think of mine. I'll be uploading everyday if I can, or otherwise most days if things get a little hectic. See you tomorrow!

6 comments:

dottydotty said...

Just wanted to say again great pic and I love the fact that you saved a tree good luck with the next 364 days

Debsg said...

Good luck with your project. Great first pic.

Kit said...

all the best with the project, great deal on the tree!

lindschick said...

Great story about the tree, love the first pic. Looking forward to seeing the rest
xxx

Shirley said...

Having just completed my 365 days I want to wish you good luck with yours. There will be days that getting the camera out might be last thing you want to do but I am sure you will manage it every day.
Great first photo.
X

Mary B said...

Super photo and well done on getting a tree for just £1 and if it is potted hopefully you will have it for years to come.
I did the 365 challenge last year and it was fun, this year I am doing a Nature journal