Saturday, 15 November 2008

Journal Your Christmas 2008 has begun...

...ok well not officially but it has for me as here is my finished album cover.

It started off life as a plain old boring dusky pink 8x8 Papermania post bound album. Not exactly inspiring is it? However I've had this album lying around gathering dust for yonks. Infact I think it was one of the first albums I ever bought and it was about time it was put to a good use (excuse the dodgy lighting on this photo as it was taken at about 10pm at night when I was about to start doing the decorating and realised I didn't have any before photos!).

And here is how it looks now, a big improvement even if I do say so myself! I've done it specifically to match the Peppermint Twist christmas range from K&Co as that is what I'll be using to do my pages inside.

I covered the spine and with some pink polka dot fabric (a la the American Crafts Modern Albums) and added some strings of beads with a little snowflake charm at the end of each one.

I edged the pink polka dot fabric with some blue gingham ribbon and created these cute christmas trees for the front cover too. They are so easy to make, simply two triangles sewn the "wrong way" and then turned inside out before adding the various embellishments. I also use a chipboard photo corner painted blue with some stickles over the top and some Thickers for the numbers. The paper in the window is from the Peppermint Twist range.


After looking at some of the past albums I was aware there was a good chance this album was going to get seriously fat, especially as I do like to use chunky embellishments. I've used 5 of those extension thingies on each of the posts to make sure my album has plenty of room to grow! I've already added the right number of page protectors to it so I'm all set! Normally this wouldn't have been an issue but because I covered the spine with fabric I won't be able to expand it now so I had to make the decision before I began decorating it.

Finally I added some ribbon the front and back covers to allow me to tie it shut and then covered the inside of the front and back cover with a square of green fabric (the same as the one used to make the christmas trees).

So there you have it! My finished album all ready and waiting for December. I can't wait to get started now and have been putting together my stash for the class all based around a pad of Peppermint Twist papers. I should hopefully have some pictures of that for you tomorrow.

15 comments:

CloClo said...

What a gorgeous album! I love the way you have customised it - I never do this with my albums and really should start. Where do you get your fabric from? Its really pretty. You will absolutely love the christmas journal - I did it last year and had so much fun with it. Not sure if I will do it again this year or not - maybe, but I'm worried there might be a bit of overlap xxx

voodoo vixen said...

Its turned out beautiful and its really good to know that everyone learned from my FAT predicament last year and are leaving plenty of room for mince pies!! Love the colours - suppose I should get my butt in gear and make mine eh?

Ayesha said...

i really wanna take part i this do you think i can??

Julie said...

Stunning album love the way you have decorated it Emma.

Sharon said...

This is gorgeous!!!
I love the colours. Where did you buy your album?

CoventryAnn said...

It's totally gorgeous!!! I've extended mine in preparation for the LO's but not with 5 posts!!! maybe I need to think again!

~Vicki~ said...

wow a gorgeous album you've done - totally stunning!!
thanks for tagging me, i'll do a post really soon, i promise!!!

Ifa said...

Yummy, Emma, love the pink and homespun fabric look but wow, with 5 posts, this one is going to get seriously fat.

Miss Natz said...

Ooh Emma, this is so yummy! I am even more tempted to sign up for this now!! Eee!!

Claireliz said...

Thats stunning Emma. Love the colours.
x

. said...

hey hun this is fab, i love how yu have made it your own, brilliant xxxx

Micayla said...

Oh my life, that is just gorgeous Emma. The fabric is soooo pretty, where did you get it from. I wish i had the time to sign up, maybe next year. I am sooooo lucking forward to seeing the layouts for it!
Yay for chunky albums, mine are all fat little porkers!!!

Eleni said...

Love it, love it!!! :)

eek said...

I love what you've done with the album - it's beautiful!

Elizabeth said...

This is beautiful. I'm off to make cardboard copies of your tree!